Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Featured Artist: Steve Whitney

Happy new year! I hope everyone gets to keep their art resolutions this year. The new year brings a new featured artist: Steve Whitney.



"I paint because I can’t imagine not painting," says Steve. "Aside from the love and comfort of family and friends, nothing else makes me feel so whole or so completely connects me to the world."

More from Steve: 
Like most painters who are serious and passionate about their work, I paint what personally fascinates me. Sometimes that is a still life, portrait, or figure, but most often it is a landscape.  I consider myself a painterly realist, meaning that I try to be faithful to visual reality while making it clear through vigorous brushwork, lively color, and disregard of precise detail that what you’re looking at is a painting, not a photograph.
 
My plein air (outdoor) paintings are typically done in two to three hours and tend to be looser and more impressionistic than my studio work. Studio paintings, which can takes, days, weeks, or months, provide an opportunity for a more nuanced, carefully considered response to a scene. 
I have been painting seriously for some 20 years. My most influential teachers have been Liana Bennett, Scott Christensen, Catherine Gill, Deanne Lemley, Ned Mueller, and Eric Weigardt. 
 
I teach oil painting for intermediate-level students at Arts Umbrella in Bothell Country Village. I am a signature member of Puget Sound Painters and the Northwest Watercolor Society. My paintings in oil, acrylic, and watercolor have been juried into prestigious national shows. I am an associate member of Oil Painters of America and the American Impressionist Society. 
I am also the author of eight books on natural history, including A Field Guide to the Cascades and Olympics and A Field Guide to the Grand Canyon, both of which I also illustrated. Formerly, I was editorial manager for The Mountaineers Books and managing editor of the Sierra Club magazine. Most recently, I worked more than a decade as a technical writer for Microsoft.
Much more over at Steve Whitney's website

---
There's only a few days left before the Meadows to Mountains show is officially done. We have a closing ceremony this Saturday, January 9, at the American Art Company in Tacoma from 3-5pm. It's your last chance to see this year's fabulous show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment